If you encounter the issue where QBDBMGRN (QuickBooks Database Server Manager) is not running on your server, it can disrupt the network connectivity and prevent other users from accessing QuickBooks company files. This issue needs to be addressed promptly to ensure smooth operations. In this article, we will provide some troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the QBDBMGRN not running on the server issue.
1. Restart the QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service
The first step is to restart the QuickBooks Database Server Manager service on the server machine. Follow these steps:
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type services.msc and press Enter to open the Services window.
- Scroll down and locate QuickBooksDBXX service, where XX represents the version of QuickBooks you are using (e.g., QuickBooksDB24 for QuickBooks Desktop 2024).
- Right-click on the service and select Restart. If the service is not running, select Start instead.
- Wait for the service to start or restart. Once done, close the Services window.
2. Verify Firewall and Antivirus Settings
Firewall or antivirus software on the server machine can sometimes block the QBDBMGRN service. To ensure the service can run without any interruptions, follow these steps:
- Check if your firewall or antivirus software is blocking the QBDBMGRN service. Consult the documentation or contact the software vendor for instructions on how to allow QuickBooks and its related services through the firewall or antivirus.
- Temporarily disable the firewall or antivirus software on the server and check if QBDBMGRN starts running. If it does, you will need to configure the software to allow QuickBooks and its services to run while the firewall or antivirus protection is active.
3. Update QuickBooks to the Latest Release
Outdated versions of QuickBooks can sometimes cause conflicts with the QBDBMGRN service. It is important to keep your QuickBooks software up to date. To update QuickBooks, follow these steps:
- Open QuickBooks on the server machine.
- Go to the Help menu and select Update QuickBooks.
- Click on the Update Now tab.
- Select the updates you want to install and click Get Updates.
- Once the updates are downloaded, close and reopen QuickBooks to install them.
4. Repair QuickBooks Installation
If the QBDBMGRN service still doesn’t run after restarting, verifying firewall settings, and updating QuickBooks, you may need to repair the QuickBooks installation. Follow these steps:
- Close QuickBooks on the server machine.
- Open the Control Panel on the server machine.
- Select Programs and Features (or Uninstall a Program).
- Locate QuickBooks in the list of installed programs and select it.
- Click on Uninstall/Change and choose Repair.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair process.
- Once the repair is complete, restart the server machine and check if QBDBMGRN is running.
5. Contact QuickBooks Support
If the above steps do not resolve the QBDBMGRN not running on the server issue, it is recommended to contact QuickBooks support for further assistance. Provide them with detailed information about the issue, the steps you have already taken, and any error messages you have encountered. The QuickBooks support team will guide you through advanced troubleshooting steps or provide additional solutions to resolve the issue.