Textile Chemicals Industry Overview
The global textile chemicals market is expected to reach USD 36.13 billion by 2030, as per the new report by Grand View Research, Inc., rising at a CAGR of 4.7% during the forecast period. The growth is majorly driven by increasing demand for textile products from major applications including apparel, home furnishing, technical textiles, and others.
Rapidly growing demand from the apparel industry is anticipated to propel the demand for the product during the forecast period. Home furnishing, specifically in developing economies, demanding modern and attractive furniture products is expected to have a positive impact on the growth of the market.
Textile Chemicals Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global textile chemicals market report based on process, product, application, and region:
Based on the Process Insights, the market is segmented into pretreatment, coating and treatment of finished products
- The coating process dominated the market with a revenue share of 71.16% in 2021. Its high share is attributable to increasing demand for the coating chemicals with the ability to provide additional properties including waterproofing, fire resistance, stain repellence, and others.
- The coating process segment is expected to continue its dominance in the market during the forecast period.
- In the coating process, coating protection chemicals are mainly consumed to cater to the increasing demand for flame retardant, UV protection, and other protective coatings, which is anticipated to create an increasing demand for these chemicals in the coming years.
- Denim finishing agents such as enzymes, softeners, anti-back staining agents, and bleaching agents are highly utilized in the denim finishing process in the textile industry.
- The consumption of finishing agents is anticipated to grow at a faster rate owing to increasing demand for high-quality finishing with aesthetic, and soft handling fabrics.
- Additionally, efficient pretreatment of fabric is the basis of reproducible uniform results in all successive processes such as printing and dyeing.
- In the pretreatment process, it is important to remove all the accompanying and interfering substances from the fabric. Along with the de-sizing, scouring, and bleaching, other pretreatment processes include optical brightening, alkalizing, and mercerizing.
- Around 90% of chemicals and auxiliaries are used for the pretreatment process such as de-sizing, scouring, and bleaching. These chemicals make the fabric hydrophilic and ready for wet processing, which is further anticipated to propel the demand for textile chemicals.
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into coating & sizing chemicals, colorants & auxiliaries, dispersants/levelant, finishing agents, surfactants and denim finishing agents
- Coating & sizing chemicals dominated the market with a revenue share of 50.22% in 2021. This high share is attributable to growing demand from geotextiles, automotive, outdoor wear, and aerospace applications.
- The global demand for sizing chemicals is expected to increase during the forecast period for efficient sizing of fabrics during the finishing treatment.
- Dextrin, wheat starch, corn starch, gelatin, etc. are the most used natural paste. Water-soluble polymers such as carboxymethyl cellulose, polyvinyl alcohol, acrylates, and modified starch, also known as textile sizing chemicals or agents, are used to protect yarns to withstand mechanical stress during weaving.
- Colorants and auxiliaries are the second largest product segment accounting for 29% of the total share in the product market. Colorants can be dyes or pigments, which impart colors to textiles.
- Dyeing of a fabric involves several steps, which are singeing, de-sizing, padding, scouring, bleaching, mercerizing, printing, and finishing.
- Moreover, chemical finishing enables textiles to become oil repellent, water repellent, flame retardant, and antistatic. With the increasing demand for customized and aesthetically attractive products, the demand for finishing agents is anticipated to surge globally.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into apparel, home furnishing and technical textiles
- Apparel applications dominated the market with a revenue share of 44.71% in 2021. This high share is attributable to several factors such as rising disposable incomes, the growing millennial and Gen Z population who are getting influenced by social media and fashion icons, and the growing e-commerce industry.
- Growth in textile raw material production is also expected to increase, which, in turn, is likely to contribute to the growth of apparel production. For instance, fiber production in India grew from 1.44 million tons in 2019 to 2.4 million tons in 2020, according to India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF).
- Increasing apparel production is expected to increase the demand for textile chemicals in apparel for pretreatment, dyeing, and printing applications.
- A wide range of Textile chemicals is being used in apparel production. These include mercerizing agents, peroxide stabilizers, dyes, dispersants, leveling agents, soaping agents, thickeners, binders, softeners, and pretreatment chemicals.
- The non-toxic and eco-friendly product improves softness properties in several applications.
- Technical textiles market is on a growth trajectory in Asia Pacific countries. Textile chemicals are likely to witness high demand from Medtech, Buildtech, and Protech applications.
- An increase in public infrastructural projects by governments in their economic revival packages is expected to boost the demand for Buildtech, subsequently increasing the demand for products.
Textile Chemicals Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
The textile chemicals market is highly competitive owing to the presence of many manufacturers with a global presence. The spread of the COVID-19 has accelerated the technological transformation that had already begun. Digitalization and the use of artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things (IoT) in manufacturing processes have been at the forefront of strategies of companies.
Some prominent players in the global textile chemicals market include:
- Kiri Industries Ltd.
- OMNOVA Solutions Inc.
- German Chemicals Ltd.
- AB Enzymes
- Organic Dyes and Pigments
- Govi N.V.
- Resil Chemicals Pvt. Ltd.
- BASF SE
- Huntsman International LLC
- Kemira Oyj
- The Lubrizol Corporation
- Omya United Chemicals
- BioTex Malaysia
- Fibro Chem, LLC
- Evonik Industries AG
- Ethox Chemicals, LLC
- Solvay S.A.
Market Industry Development
- November 2021: Cosmo Specialty Chemicals introduced a hydrophilic block silicone emulsion. The non-toxic and eco-friendly product improves softness properties in several applications.
- January 2021: Solvay S.A. announced that it will begin using blockchain technology for developing a circular economy. The technology will be used to store, exchange, develop, and trace the information related to products, right from their feedstock producers to end-users.
Order a free sample PDF of the Textile Chemicals Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519