When you convert QuickBooks to multi-user mode, error code H202 appears. The error indicates that the server was unable to communicate with you. This indicates that the server used to store company files (QBW) is currently unavailable. This stops the user from accessing the workstation’s company files.
What is QuickBooks Error Code H202?
The server and workstations can be connected in multi-user mode. QuickBooks error H202 occurs when the connection is lost. This is also why this problem is referred to as a multi-user switching error.
This issue occurs when you try to open a QuickBooks file in a multi-user environment. The server establishes connections with other computers on the same network. The file on the server is accessed by workstations over the network. However, errors occur for a variety of reasons and occasions. In the section below, you can discover more about them.
Causes of QuickBooks Error Code H202
The QuickBooks error H202 is caused by a number of factors. Like:
- DNS settings are incorrectly configured.
- QBCFMonitor and QuickBooksDBXX are not running.
- The firewall is preventing QB data from being exchanged.
- .nd file that has corrupted
- There are some issues with the QuickBooks database server manager.
- The IP address of the host or server has not been saved in QuickBooks desktop.
- Inappropriate hosting settings
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error H202
- Switching to multi-user mode is not feasible.
- A company file cannot be opened on a different computer.
- On your computer’s screen, the QuickBooks error H202 shows.
- When you use QuickBooks, it has gotten slow, and it occasionally freezes or quits after a few seconds.
- Your Windows is becoming slower.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error H202?
Here’s below is a complete list of solutions. To understand how to resolve this problem, go to the section below.
Solution 1: Use a workstation to ping your server
To test the connection, the user must ping your server from a workstation. Also, QB Error H202 occurs on all workstations.
Read Also: How To Troubleshoot QuickBooks ABS PDF Install Error and What It Is? (Simple Guide)
Step 1: On the server, enable Network Discovery.
- To begin, turn on the server and workstations.
- After that, go to the Windows start menu.
- Go to the Search panel and type Network into the search box.
- Double-click Network and Sharing Center after that.
- Change advanced sharing settings by tapping Change advanced sharing settings.
- Select the Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing tabs from the left-hand menu.
- You must also choose Turn on Network Discovery.
Step 2: Select a server name from the Server drop-down menu.
- Activate the Server.
- After that, select the Windows Start menu.
- As a result, open the Run window.
- There, type CMD.
- Press the Enter key.
- Enter ipconfig/all in the CMD window.
- Enter once more.
- Attempt to locate the hostname by looking through the Windows IP configuration.
- The server name will appear on the right after that.
- Now all you have to do is write down the hostname.
- You may also copy them to a word document or a notepad.
Step 3: Examine Network Connectivity
- Open the Run dialogue box.
- After that, type CMD into the command prompt.
- Select OK.
- Ping the server and see whether it responds.
- Type ping server name as well.
- Enter once more.
- Carry out the identical processes on each machine that has become corrupted due to an issue.
- If there are any problems, try to fix the network.
Solution 2: Open QuickBooks and run the file doctor.
- Visit Intuit’s official website.
- Look for the official download link for the QuickBooks tool hub there.
- Please remember to download it.
- Save the downloaded file somewhere easy to find.
- Launch it as well to begin the installation process.
- After then, you must accept the terms and conditions.
- Simply open the tool hub once the installation is complete.
- Go to the Issues tab in the Company file.
- After that, select Run QuickBooks file doctor.
- Select the company file from the drop-down option.
- If you are unable to locate it, use the Browse option.
- Also, make sure the file’s box is checked.
- Continue by tapping the Continue button.
- After that, you’ll need to enter the QuickBooks admin password.
- When prompted, select next.
- The scan is about to begin.
- Just keep in mind that scanning all corrupted QB folders may take longer than 5 minutes.
- You only need to restart the system after you’ve identified the problem.
Solution 3: Verify QuickBooks Services.
When a full version of QuickBooks is operating, follow these steps to activate multi-user mode.
- Open the server operating system.
- After that, all you have to do is go to QuickBooks.
- To open the file, click on it.
- Then select Utilities.
- After that, select Host multi-user access.
The status of QBCFMonitorService and QuickbooksDBXX must now be verified. To do so, take the following steps:
- Navigate to the Run window.
- Now type services.msc into the command prompt.
- Also, select OK.
- After that, select QuickBooksDBXX.
- Make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic.
- Then, make sure the Service status is up and operating.
- Select the Recovery option from the drop-down menu.
- Select the same.
- Go to the drop-down selections for the first, second, and third failures.
- After that, select Restart the service for each of them.
- Select OK and then Apply.
- It is advised that after evaluating the condition of QuickBooksDBXX, you do the same with QBCFMonitorService.
Solution 4: Add a server to the Windows Host file.
- The first and most important thing you should do is shut down QuickBooks.
- Now, navigate towards C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc on the server.
- Do double-click on the hosts file after that.
- Select the Notepad option as well.
- Following that, the user must provide the following information.
- Server: the computer’s IP address and name
- Computer: The server’s IP address and the computer’s name.
- Instead of using the space key, try segregating with the tab key.
- Simply switch to multi-user mode in the software.
- Finally, have a look at the problem.
Must Read: The Ultimate Checklist On Using A QuickBooks Print and PDF Repair Tool (2022 Edition)
Solution 5: Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Expand the Windows Start menu to begin the operation.
- Fill in the blanks in the database.
- When the QuickBooks database server manager appears in the list, select it.
- Simply select the folder that is used to store company files.
- If you like, you may also use the Browse button.
- Select the tab that says “Start Scan.”
- After that, use QBDBSM to try to fix the firewall settings.
- When the scanning process is finished, click Close.
- Open all workstations that are causing the H202 problem in QuickBooks.
- After then, you can use QuickBooks from there.
- Select Switch to multi-user mode from the File menu.
- Simply check whether the product may be used in a multi-user setting.
- If that doesn’t work, continue on to the next option.
Solution 6: Configuration of the system firewall
- To begin, go to the system firewall’s configuration page.
- Make exceptions there if you can.
- Modify the firewall preference and permissions after that.
- Turn on all of the computers.
- Open your QuickBooks program as well.
- Navigate to the File menu.
- As a result, choose Switch to multi-user mode.
Solution 7: Use the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to troubleshoot the installation.
- To begin, go to the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Go to the tab that says “Installation Issues.”
- After that, select the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool
- Try scanning the folder where the data file was saved.
- The network interfaces and IP addresses must then be specified.
- If there are any ports listed in the firewall status column, make sure to enable them.
- After that, all you have to do is look at the data file connectivity.
- Simply open the QB file and look for the problem.
Solution 8: Make a new QuickBooks folder.
- Start up the server.
- Make a new folder at that location.
- After that, you must change the permissions for the newly created folder.
- Make the same changes to the folder you want to use to share QuickBooks files.
- Simply duplicate the.qbw file.
- Copy and paste it into this folder.
- Finally, in a multi-user situation, access the QB file.
Solution 9: Use the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool to troubleshoot the issue.
- After you’ve gone through these steps, just update QuickBooks to the most recent version.
- Download and install the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool to get started. After that, simply scan the folder where the QB files were saved.
- As a result, specify the IP address that appears when the utility is run.
- Make an attempt to configure firewall ports.
- Examine the instructions displayed on your device.
- Finally, simply open the file that is causing the QuickBooks error H202.
Solution 10: Rename the .TLG and .ND files
- Close QuickBooks at first.
- Open up the company file folder on the server.
- Then double-click the.tlg file.
- Right-click the file and select rename from the menu.
- Only the word “old” appears at the end of the file name.
- Then press Enter.
- Now try the same technique to rename the .nd file.
- Meanwhile, when the database server is running on your device, new .nd and .tlg files will be produced.
- Obtain access to the file.
- Keep pressing the Alt key until the file opens.
- The problem now resolve.
Solution 11: Go to the Control Panel in Windows.
- Close QuickBooks on all of your computers.
- Then, go to the control panel for Windows.
- Select Programs and Features from the drop-down menu.
- After that, you must choose QuickBooks.
- Examine the list of installed programs as well.
- From there, select the Change and Repair option.
- After that, you must allow the affirmative options to be selected.
Solution 12: Change the location of the company file
- To begin, the user must create a folder on Drive C:
- Then, click on the company file. TLG.
- Make a copy of these files.
- Go to the newly generated file folder and open it.
- Fill in the blanks with your file.
- Open your document in a multi-user environment as well.
Most Commonly Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question 1: What does the H202 error in QuickBooks mean?
The error H202 indicates that there is a problem with the network server. When you use QuickBooks in multi-user mode, you’ll run into this problem. The main cause of this problem is a blocked firewall and incorrectly adjusted settings.
Question 2: In QuickBooks, can you provide a list of H series errors?
H101, H202, H303, and H505 are all error codes in QuickBooks that signify the H series or hosting issues. If you’re getting it, try configuring the multi-user settings. This will aid in the resolution of the errors.
Question 3: What is the solution to QuickBooks Error H303?
You can resolve the problem by implementing any of the following methods:
- Make changes to the firewall settings.
- Change the corporate file path as well.
- Run the QuickBooks file doctor tools.
Question 4: What causes QuickBooks Error H202?
There are several causes for QuickBooks error number H202.
- The installation of QuickBooks is harmed.
- The firewall isn’t configured correctly.
- The hosting setup is incorrect.
- QuickBooks services are not working properly.
Question 5: Is it possible to fix QuickBooks problem H101?
Yes, you can simply fix QuickBooks problem H101 by using the following solutions:
- Take a look at the QuickBooks hosting.
- Check the QuickBooks services to make sure they’re working.
- Make a new folder for your company’s files.