Australia has been one of the prominent study destinations among Indian students looking to study abroad. Apart from being a fabulous holiday destination, this Western country has lots to offer to the students including a vibrant mix of cultures and a globally inter-connected social life. Hence, Indian students planning to study in Australia can now easily avail the golden chance to fast-track their global careers with internationally recognized qualifications.
Reasons to Study in Australia
Other than being the third-most-popular study-abroad destination, there are various reasons why Indian students opt to study in Australia –
Australia houses 7 out of the top 100 universities in the world that offer stellar-quality education to students from all around the globe. Although being a very meagrely populated country with a limited number of universities, it still managed to feature in global rankings like QS World University Rankings, Times Higher Education Rankings, and the Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Diverse course options
The universities in Australia offer over 22,000 high-quality courses and programs in a vast range of subjects. So, whether you want to graduate in a particular stream or undertake your research, Australia is the best choice for you.
Universally recognized degrees
Over 2.5 million international students are currently pursuing their studies in different courses in Australia. Their institutions not only produced some of the world’s finest minds and Nobel laureates but also offer degrees that are recognized all over the world.
Part-time job opportunities
Indian students pursuing their studies in Australia can avail part-time job offers which could help them offset some of their living costs. They are permitted to work for up to 20-40 hours for a specific timespan during semesters and full-time during the holidays. The best part is these jobs offer flexibility due to which students do not have to worry about skipping their classes or college.
Safe and multicultural environment
Australia is considered a multicultural, friendly, and pleasant society that welcomes students from different nationalities, cultures, races, and religions. In fact, its cities Melbourne and Sydney have been voted as the world’s most livable and friendliest cities.
Great place to travel
Did you know that Australia has over 500 National Parks and 19 UNESCO World Heritage sites? Apart from studies, Indian students can explore various places in Australia and tick off their list of adventures like scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef, snorkeling in Ningaloo Reef with gigantic whale sharks, and many such experiences.
Relaxed visa regulations
Obtaining an Australian visa is much easier than for the US and the UK. In gact, a few years back, the Australian government introduced a simplified student visa framework (SSVF) that reduces the visa subclasses and provides more efficient visa services to applicants. According to the revised framework, all the student visas would be classified under a single class, subclass 500.
Low cost of education
The world has some leading education powerhouses that provide the finest quality education to students from all around the globe. However, the cost of studies in Australia is relatively cheaper compared to other countries. Moreover, the cost of living is also significantly lower as compared to the US and the UK.
Additional reasons to study in Australia for Indian students:-
- Provide career-focused program
- Use academically brilliant research and training methods
- Students can combine their education with practical work experience
- Various scholarship initiatives enable students to pursue premium-quality education at a very reasonable cost
- The Education Services for Overseas Students(ESOS) Act enforces the best law practices to protect the rights of international students studying in Australia.
Top Universities to Study in Australia
There are over 40 universities in Australia, out of which 37 are ranked among the top 1000 universities in the world. These universities offer a blend of academic excellence, various cultures, and groundbreaking research opportunities. Moreover, they are situated strategically in every state territory, which enables Indian students to choose where they want to live and study in Australia.
Below listed are some of the finest universities to study in Australia –
- University of Melbourne
- University of Sydney
- Australian National University
- University of Queensland
- Monash University
- University of New South Wales
- University Adelaide
- University of Western Australia
- University of Technology Sydney
- University of Canberra
- Victoria University
- Macquarie University
- Curtin University
- La Trobe University
- Charles Darwin University
- University of Wollongong
- Flinders University
Charles Sturt University, Victoria University, University of Queensland, Federation University Australia, and Flinders University are some of the cheapest universities offering top-quality education at affordable costs.
For more such information, connect with the education experts of Shuraa.
Courses to study in Australia
Indian and other nationality students who have graduated high school are offered a variety of courses to choose from according to their preferences. Below given are some of the prevalent courses offered in different Australian Universities –
- Bachelor of Creative Arts
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor’s in Medicine
- Business and Management
- Engineering in Biotechnology
- Environmental Health
- Foreign Language Communications
- Graphic Arts
- Human Resource
- International Business
- Public Health
- Veterinary Science
Scholarships for Indian Students to study in Australia
Here are some of the top scholarship initiatives for Indian students planning to study in Australia –
- Adelaide Scholarships International
- Australian Award Scholarship
- Australian Government Research and Training Program (AGRTP)
- Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarship Award
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS)
- La Trobe Academic Excellence Scholarships
- Macquarie Vice Chancellor’s International Scholarships
- Melbourne International Research Scholarships
- Sydney Achievers International Scholarships
Eligibility requirements to study in Australia for Indian students
Indian students planning to pursue higher education in Australia have to fulfill certain criteria to be eligible to apply –
- Students that have completed their grade 12 must have a minimum score of 60-65% in the relevant stream they are applying for in Australia.
- The students have to unfailingly clear the English proficiency test to successfully enroll in an Australian University. The minimum score requirement for IELTS and TOEFL are 6.5-7 and 75-90 respectively.
- The students enrolling in a degree program must be of at least 18 years.
Documents required for a student visa to Australia
- Australian Visa Application Fee receipt
- Visa Application Form
- Original Passport
- Admission letter/Confirmation of Enrolment
- Covering Letter/ Statement of Purpose
- Financial Documents
- Letter Affidavit of Support from Sponsor
- Academic Transcripts
- English Language Proficiency Test Results
- Medical examination report from an approved doctor
Post Study work visa
A post-study work visa is yet other perk international students in Australia can avail after their studies. Students after completing their studies at a recognized university in Australia can apply for the Post-Study Work Permit that allows them to stay and work in the country for 2 – 4 years depending on their academic degree and the choice of study program.
In conclusion, Australia is indeed an amazing place for Indian students, considering its safe environment, unique education system, and cultural diversity. Moreover, it offers a great platform for students to shape their dreams and visions.
Shuraa Education realizes your dream of studying abroad and thus can help you pursue your dream to study in Australia through proper guidance and assistance. They have helped several young aspirants select their most-suited career choices. Talk to the study-abroad experts of Shuraa and get all the latest updates and information about the application process to study in Australia.