If you are a person who suffers from allergies, and colds regularly, then you must be quite aware of the runny nose, as well as the discomfort it causes. This is mostly observed during winters, and it can leave you extremely irritated. Hence, you might want to know how to stop a runny nose instantly using simple home remedies. There are a couple of medications that are currently available for the management of runny nose, as well as allergies. But, people hesitate to take these medicines because of the side effects that they have to deal with. For instance, the majority of these medicines make the patient extremely tired, as well as drowsy. The patients tend to sleep for a prolonged period of time, and they might also complain about lack of energy. Such side effects will make them incapable of carrying out their daily tasks efficiently. For instance, nobody wants to see you yawn in the middle of an important meeting or discussion. This can significantly affect your work life. With the home remedies, you do not have to be concerned about such issues, as these remedies are devoid of any side effects.
How to stop a runny nose instantly by drinking warm fluids?
- Runny nose can be very efficiently managed if you choose to drink fluids that are warm. This can be considered as one of the easiest remedies that can be employed for treating runny nose. You will be able to notice positive results almost instantly.
- The warm fluids help in thinning out the mucus. Once the mucus loosens, you will be able to expel it easily. If you leave the mucus like that then it will eventually become thicker, as well as sticky. This will further congest the nose, and you will experience much more trouble.
- An advantage of using this home remedy is that you will get plenty of amazing options to choose from. For instance, if you like drinking tea, then you can opt for any tea of your choice. There are plenty of awesome flavors that are currently available. These include herbal teas which contain herbs such as mint, ginger, or chamomile.
- You can also have some chicken soup. Thereby, your body will get some protein that can be used for promoting fast healing. If you do not like chicken, then you can simply have some vegetable soup. The soup will help in keeping the throat moist. In addition to that, it will also relieve nasal congestion.
- If you do not want to put in much effort, then you can simply try taking some warm water. But, it must be noted that the drinks that dehydrate us must be totally avoided. These include caffeinated drinks, alcoholic beverages, etc. Such drinks will aggravate the condition further.
Take steam to get relief from runny nose
- If you are wondering how to stop a runny nose instantly using simple home remedies, then you must know that inhaling steam is one of the most efficient methods when it comes to treating a runny nose.
- People with runny noses might find it extremely difficult to breathe because of the congestion of the nasal passage. This problem can be managed by inhaling steam for sometime. The steam will help in clearing the airways to a great extent.
- Sometimes a runny nose might also lead to heaviness around the eyes. This can further lead to a throbbing headache. If you are dehydrated, then the mucus will become very thick. This thick mucus will then clog the sinuses, as well as the nasal airways.
- If you are facing such problems, then you can try inhaling some steam by taking a hot shower. You can also try taking vapor from a bowl. The inhaled steam will remove the clogs and will open up the nose clearly. This will eventually prevent it from running.
- Now-a-days, you will be able to purchase machines that will produce steam which you can easily inhale. These machines are quite affordable and you can easily get them at your nearest drug store. In this case, all you have to do is simply add some water to the given jar. Then, you have to set up the machine and switch it on.
How to stop a runny nose instantly using warm compress?
- This is a very simple remedy that will provide you quick relief from a runny nose. In addition to that, this remedy will also help in easing sinus pressure.
- Here, you need to apply a washcloth, or warm compress onto the forehead area and the nose. This must be carried out several times a day to get the maximum benefit.
- In order to make the warm compress, you have to boil some water and then set it aside. After that, you must take a piece of clean cloth, and then soak it in the hot water. Thereafter, you have to take out the cloth, squeeze it, and place it over the nose and forehead. This must be repeated for 15 to 20 minutes. The warm compress can be reapplied, as and when required.
- The warm compress will help in enhancing the blood circulation around the sinus region. It will also assist in adding some moisture to the air that is being inhaled. All these will help in breaking up the thick and sticky mucus. This will enable you to expel the mucus conveniently.
We have discussed how to stop a runny nose instantly using simple home remedies. You should also include Vitamin C rich food stuff in your diet. This will help in boosting your overall immunity. Thereby, you will be able to prevent, as well as manage a runny nose. Taking zinc as oral dietary supplements will also help in enhancing the immunity. In most cases, the runny nose is a result of certain allergic reactions. These reactions are caused by allergens such as pollen, dust, dander, mold, etc. If you are able to determine and avoid the allergens that are triggering these reactions in your case, then you will be able to avoid the occurrence of runny nose, sneezing, itching, etc.