Histology And Cytology Industry Overview
The global histology and cytology market size is expected to reach USD 37.10 billion by 2028, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. It is expected to expand at a CAGR of 14.74% from 2021 to 2028. The factors contributing to the market growth include an increase in the demand for the early detection of diseases, increased standardization of pathology laboratories, and implementation of immunohistochemistry and innovation in microscopy.
Histology And Cytology Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global histology and cytology market on the basis of type of examination, product, application, and region:
Based on the Type Of Examination Insights, the market is segmented into Histology, Cytology.
- The cytology segment dominated the market with a revenue share of over 65.0% in 2020 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. The integration of Artificial Intelligence (AI) for developing advanced cytology systems is contributing to the segment growth.
- In the cytology segment, by application, breast cancer accounted for the second-largest revenue share in 2020. The prognosis of breast cancer depends on early screening and detection. Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC) is the most affordable procedure used to detect breast cancer.
- The WHO has recommended Papanicolaou cytology (Pap smear) for cervical cytology screening as it has the ability to detect precursor lesions of cervical cancer at low cost, with flexibility, and at high rates.
- Advanced histology technologies have improved the workflow by speeding up the diagnostic capabilities of clinical laboratories. Moreover, companies are focusing on integrating AI platforms in histology.
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into Instruments and Analysis Software System, Consumable and Reagents.
- The consumables and reagents segment dominated the market with a revenue share of more than 55.0% in 2020. The segment is expected to maintain its lead from 2021 to 2028.
- Several consumables are used for the histology and cytology process such as tissue sample containers, kits, stain reagents, fixative solutions, medium reagents, and other reagents. The segment growth can be primarily attributed to the routine adoption of histology and cytology consumables.
- The instruments and analysis software system segment is expected to grow from 2021 to 2028 owing to the increasing application of technologically advanced instruments, such as multimodal nonlinear microscopy, photoacoustic microscopy, and stimulated Raman spectroscopy for histopathology.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Drug Discovery & Designing, Clinical Diagnostics, Research.
- The drug discovery and designing segment dominated the market with a revenue share of over 45.0% in 2020. The segment is expected to maintain its position over the forecast period.
- The growth of the segment can be attributed to the wide use of histomorphometry and IHC staining in pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies for drug development. The image analysis is applied across several steps of drug discovery and development such as drug efficacy and safety studies, target validation, drug repositioning, patient stratification, and biomarker expression studies.
- The clinical diagnostics segment is expected to register a CAGR of 14.31% over the forecast period owing to the increasing application of histopathology studies for the diagnosis of different types of cancer.
Histology And Cytology Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Rapid introduction and approvals attained by different cancer screening pathology solutions have been witnessed in recent years. For instance, in May 2021, Hologic, Inc., received premarket approval from the U.S. FDA for its ThinPrep Genesis Processor. This instrument combines sample aliquoting and cytology processing with improved workflow.
Some prominent players in the global histology and cytology market include
- Hologic, Inc.
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Merck KGaA
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Sysmex Corporation
- Trivitron Healthcare
- Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Order a free sample PDF of the Histology And Cytology Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519